Friday, April 21, 2006

Let's have a break from all the dusty old copy. Here's something nice and fresh, today's Classie Corner from the Rural Press newspaper, Redland Times:

ANGST over loss of treasured objects is a sad reality in the lost and found columns but finders, as well as losers, often suffer.
Readers who use the Classifieds’ free "found" notices are never happy until the rightful owner walks out their door, reunited with their property.
The finders may also have to deal with fraudsters and opportunists who try to claim the property.
Take the case of Georgina Nevin of Thornlands. A friend found a lorikeet at Victoria Point and asked Georgina for advice.
Georgina, who owns a cockatiel, Misha, had just reared 10 ducklings.
"I live near a creek; the mum took off and left the ducklings in my backyard," she said.
"These things just come to me; I am one of those people."
Georgina looked after the lorikeet, which said "Hello, how are you", while she waited for results from a "found" notice.
Sadly, the owner was not among almost a dozen callers.
"About nine or 10 just wanted the bird although it wasn’t theirs," Georgina said.
"Two were genuine and came around but then said it wasn’t theirs.
"I think it was hand-reared. If you put music on it would dance along."
Facing more bird-sitting with a family member’s cockatiel, Georgina eventually gave the lorikeet to a wildlife carer.
THE other side of the recent lost-found mix has highlighted the sadness of a Cleveland widow.
The husband, who died in August from cancer, had two watches, one for everyday use and the other, a Seiko, which his wife gave to him 28 years ago.
"After he died I kept the Seiko in my handbag," she said. "I should have simply have carried the other watch around. It would not have mattered."
One day last month, she moved the watch to an outside pocket during her lunchbreak in the Cleveland CBD. Later, the watch was missing.
"I really kicked myself," she said. "I retraced my steps and asked the gardener who looks after the trees, in case he had seen someone pick it up.
"I kept checking the police station for two weeks. It could have been sold. You never know …"
The widow still holds slim hope the watch, "very unusual with a flat face and no hands", will be returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment